Prof Mary McCaffrey from U.C.C. visited fourth class on Thursday the 24th of September. She gave a talk about ‘The fascinating world of the Cell’. She was extremely impressed by the questioning of the boys.
Here is a video clip that the boys watched.
The boys learned a lot of different facts on the day and here are some of them:
- Cells are microscopic in size.
- White Blood Cells help fight viruses and bacteria in the body.
- The white blood cells travels through capillaries.
- Prof. McCaffrey brought in yeast cells, which she had grown in the laboratory.
- Red Blood Cells carry oxygen.
- Your finger nails are made of dead cells.
- The nucleus is the control centre inside every cell.
- There are over 140 trillion cells in the body.
- Plants have cells and so do all living things.
Here are some of the pictures of the talk.